top of page
VISIT CASTELO DE ALMOROL
On the Tagus River, Almorol Castle is located on a small island in the middle of the river. It recalls the Reconquest of the territory during the Middle Ages.
When the Christians arrived here in 1129, the castle already existed under the name Almorolan, being included in the lands delivered to the guardianship of the Templars, under the orders of Gualdim Pais.
According to an inscription at the entrance, the reconstruction work dates back to 1171. Together with the castles of Tomar, Zêzere and Cardiga, it formed the defensive line of the Tagus River.
bottom of page